I still remember sitting with my mother and watching in awe as Princess Diana walked down the isle in her legendary dress on July 29th, 1981. It was at that moment that this ten-year-old tomboy suddenly wanted to be a princess. Here we are 30 years later and at 40 I am just as excited about the current royal wedding as I was so many years ago. I'll be celebrating William & Kate's big day with these Royal recipes.Almond Scones
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
Makes: 12 scones
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup almond paste, cut into small pieces
1/2 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1 egg, beaten
Sliced almonds, if desired
Coarse sugar, if desired
1. Heat oven to 400°F. Lightly spray cookie sheet with cooking spray. In large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; mix well. With pastry blender or fork, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in almond paste, separating pieces to coat each with flour mixture.
2. In small bowl, combine milk, almond extract and egg; blend well. Add to flour mixture. Stir just until dry ingredients are moistened.
3. On floured surface, gently knead dough about 6 times. Divide dough in half; shape each into ball. Pat each ball into 5-inch round with center higher than edges. Brush with milk; sprinkle with almonds and sugar. Cut each round into 6 wedges. Place wedges 1 inch apart on sprayed cookie sheet.
4. Bake at 400°F. for 13 to 15 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool 10 minutes before serving.
Tip: Arrange the scone wedges on a baking sheet, cover them loosely with plastic wrap and refrigerate them for up to an hour before baking.
Nutrition Information: 1 Serving (1 Scone)Calories 190(Calories from Fat 70),Total Fat 8g(Saturated Fat 4g,Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 35mg;Sodium 180mg;Total Carbohydrate 24g(Dietary Fiber 1g,Sugars 8g),Protein 4g
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Makes: About 2 cups curd
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon finely shredded lemon peel
1 cup lemon juice (5 large lemons)
3 tablespoons firm butter or margarine, cut up
3 large eggs, slightly beaten
1. In heavy 1 1/2-quart saucepan, mix sugar, lemon peel and lemon juice with wire whisk.
2. Stir in butter and eggs. Cook over medium heat about 8 minutes, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and coats back of spoon (do not boil). Immediately pour into one 1-pint container or two 1-cup containers.
3. Store covered in refrigerator up to 2 months.
Nutrition Information: 1 Serving (1 Tablespoon)Calories 45(Calories from Fat 15),Total Fat 1 1/2g(Saturated Fat 1/2g,Trans Fat 0g),Cholesterol 25mg;Sodium 15mg; Total Carbohydrate 7g(Dietary Fiber 0g,Sugars 6g),Protein 0g
Tea Sandwich Flats
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
Makes: 24 sandwich flatsCrust
1 can (8 oz) Pillsbury® refrigerated crescent dinner rolls or 1 can (8 oz) Pillsbury® Crescent Recipe Creations® refrigerated seamless dough sheet
Goat Cheese Topping
2 oz cream cheese, softened
2 oz soft goat cheese (chèvre)
Pinch garlic powder
1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh dill, basil or thyme
Egg Salad Topping
1/2 cup deli egg salad
6 (1/4-inch) cucumber slices
1/4 yellow bell pepper
Fresh dill, basil or thyme
1. Heat oven to 375°F. Unroll dough onto ungreased cookie sheet to form 12x8-inch rectangle; if using crescent roll dough, firmly press perforations to seal.
2. Bake 9 to 11 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely, about 20 minutes. Cut into 24 (2x2-inch) squares.
3. For goat cheese topping, in medium bowl, stir together cream cheese, goat cheese, garlic powder and 1 teaspoon dill. Spoon about 2 teaspoons cheese mixture onto each of 12 crescent squares. Top with veggies and additional fresh herbs.
4. For egg salad topping, spoon about 2 teaspoons egg salad onto each of 12 remaining crescent squares. Top with veggies and additional fresh herbs.Nutrition Information: 1 Serving (1 Sandwich Flat)Calories 60(Calories from Fat 40),Total Fat 4 1/2g(Saturated Fat 1 1/2g,Trans Fat 1/2g),Cholesterol 15mg;Sodium 110mg;Total Carbohydrate 4g(Dietary Fiber 0g,Sugars 0g),Protein 1gRoyal Blue Cocktail
Coarse sugar or granulated sugar
1/4 cup cranberry juice cocktail
2 tablespoons (1 oz) citron vodka or vodka
2 tablespoons (1 oz) blue curacao
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1. Moisten rim of chilled martini glass with lime wedge. Sprinkle sugar onto small plate, and dip moistened rim into the sugar to coat lightly.
2.Fill cocktail shaker with ice. Add cranberry juice, vodka, curacao and lime juice; cover and shake. Strain into martini glass.
Nutrition Information: 1 Serving (1 Cocktail)Calories 190(Calories from Fat 0),Total Fat 0g(Saturated Fat 0g,Trans Fat 0g),Cholesterol 0mg;Sodium 0mg;Total Carbohydrate 20g(Dietary Fiber 0g,Sugars 16g),Protein 0gWatch it:
Giuliana Rancic anchors E!'s coverage (beginning at 3 a.m.). In prime time, E! will air E! News Special: Road to the Altar at 8, but the real fun begins at 9 when Joan Rivers hosts a special one-hour wedding-day episode of Fashion Police.
For a true United Kingdom touch, tune into PBS' airing of Royal Wedding Live, narrated by Welsh journalist Huw Edwards (3 a.m., KERA/Channel 13). Edwards also anchors coverage on BBC America, beginning at 2 a.m.
ABC's Diane Sawyer and Barbara Walters will anchor coverage from Buckingham Palace (3-9 a.m., WFAA/Channel 8). A special hour of Good Morning America , anchored by Robin Roberts from London, will air afterward. And, in case you missed anything, or just got up late and forgot to set the DVR, Walters will anchor a special two-hour edition of 20/20 that looks back on the wedding (8 p.m., WFAA).
CBS' Couric leads coverage of the wedding, featuring reports from The Early Show's Hill (4-8 a.m., KTVT/Channel 11). Couric will also anchor The Royal Wedding: Modern Majesty, a one-hour prime-time special (7 p.m., KTVT/Channel 11).NBC's Today crew will report from all over London (4-10 a.m., KXAS/Channel 5) except for
Hoda Kotb and Kathie Lee Gifford, who will remain in New York so that they can give their own surreal take on the proceedings 10-11 a.m.Online:
More royal wedding recipes from Betty Crocker
TV Guide to all things Royal Wedding
Sign the royal wedding guestbook on yahoo.com
Sources: www.bettycrocker.com, www.star-telegram.com